Late last week I was asked how to go about writing SEO friendly content for a new website that was about to be launched ,tt’s definitely not rocket science and if you remember to do a few key things, the search engine spiders will love your website even more because you are giving them everything they want.
The steps to writing successful SEO friendly content are:
1. One keyword per article or page!
Don’t think that you can get a one page website to rank well for 15 different keywords.
It doesn't work like that.
Work out what your main keywords are and create content for each of those works.
2. Aim to write a minimum of 550 words per articles.
Gone are the days of having content made up of 4 or 5 bullet points and your website ranks well. The major search engines (Google in particular) want lots of quality content. Don’t let your content drop below 300 words and 500-700 words per page seems to be the “sweet spot” for getting your content “loved” by the search engines
3. DO NOT keyword stuff your content.
Keep your keyword density down! Way down!
Keyword density is calculated by dividing the number of times your keyword appears in your text by the number of words in your text.
If your keyword/phrase appears 5 times in a 500 word article then you have a keyword density of (5 / 500) = 1%
Keep your keyword density in the 1-2% range at all times.
4. Make sure you use related keywords in your content.
Google loves “Latent Semantic Indexing”. This means that if you main keyword is about “pest control” it expects to see words about pest extermination, mice, rats, cockroaches, termites etc.
Use the “Google External Keyword tool” and “Google Suggest” to find other words people might be using to help you write better content.
5. Place your keyword in the first half of the first sentence of the first paragraph of your content, as well as placing it as close as possible to the last part of the last sentence in the last paragraph of your content.
6. The search engines expect to see links from your content to other authority sites related to that topic. Sites like wikipedia.org (http://www.wikipedia.org), about.com (http://webdesign.about.com/od/seo/a/seo_content.htm) and industry association websites are all valued and show that you know what you are talking about
(See how I did that in this bullet point)
7. The search engines also expect to see images and videos in your content. Make sure your images and videos are SEO optimized as well.
This can bring additional website traffic from Google Images and Youtube.com
8. Keep the readability level of your content HIGH! Unless you are writing content for a technical publication/website, then you have to make sure that everyone can read and understand the content you are creating.
Not everyone who reads your content is going to be aware of industry acronyms or jargon.
Explain everything to the reader and keep sentences are words short!
This may seem silly, but aim to make your content readable and understandable by the average 12 year old! You will get the biggest value by doing this.
See more about this on wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Readability)
9. Make your content suitable for humans not search engines. There is no point in having the best “SEO’ed” content in your industry if the average website visitor can’t understand what you are talking about then its worthless.
Content that obeys the 10 principals shown above will make your content a lot more appealing to both search engines as well as human visitors
10. Every piece of content must have a purpose. Every piece of content that you create must have a “call to action” in it!
This means you want to reader to actually do something when they have finished consuming your content. This can range from picking up the phone and calling someone, signing up for a newsletter or buying a product from an online store.
Use the content to get the reader to do something. Otherwise don’t bother writing anything at all.
As I said in the introduction, creating content is not difficult and creating SEO friendly content is quite simple when you know the steps.